Applications from those in Year 12 at school are invited to enter for the 2016 Robinson College Essay Prize. All students intending to make an application to any university are welcome to apply, with a maximum of three applications per school being considered. Please therefore discuss your application with your school prior to entry. The deadline for entry is 1 August, 2016. All entries should be sent by email to: email@example.com. Please include your own name, that of your school, and of any teacher that has offered you help and guidance. Please also indicate which subject you are considering studying at University.
Applicants may choose to write on/discuss any of the questions listed below. Essays should be no longer than 2,000 words. One prize will be awarded of £100 book tokens and further essays will be commended for their high quality. All successful applicants will be invited to the College for a prize-giving ceremony, with the opportunity of meeting the Director of Studies in the appropriate subject.
Discuss, with reference to any academic discipline, any area of interest raised by one of the following
1. Could ‘The Simpsons’ ever be considered classical literature?
2. ‘To compensate for our fragility, we need to construct forms of solidarity in our cultures.’ [EAGLETON,T.]. Assess how this need is expressed in the form of science, religion, technology or art.
3. ‘To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.’ [EINSTEIN, A.]. Discuss.
4. ‘The humanities should constitute the core of any university worth the name.’ [EAGLETON, T.]. Discuss.
5. ‘Literature can never truly be fictitious, there is always an overpowering element of reality.’ Discuss.