Meningitis symptoms can include:

  • severe headache
  • vomiting
  • high temperature (fever) of 38ºC (100.4ºF) or over
  • stiff neck
  • sensitivity to light
  • rapid breathing
  • a general feeling of being unwell
  • a distinctive skin rash (although not everyone will have this)

Signs and symptoms
The Meningitis Trust

Sexual Health


A c-card is a small plastic card, which can be attached as a key-ring, which allows those who have registered to pick up free condoms from a variety of pharmacies and points around Cambridge. You can register for c-card with the Student Welfare Officer, people can sign up for a C-Card freely and anonymously. 

The c-card scheme continues to run in Cambridgeshire, but has been replaced in the University by a new sexual health scheme. If you have a registered C-Card, you can continue to access sexual health supplies at non-University pick up sites such as the Boots and Superdrug pharmacies in the city centre. Students under 25 can continue to register for a C-Card at a number of sites throughout the city. See the c-cardcambs website for more details and also the cusu website.

Chlamydia screening

You can order a test kit online at:
You can also get a kit from the Student Welfare Officer.


Contraceptive advice and supplies are available from your GP Surgery and at outreach Clinics in the city. The integrated Contraception and Sexual Health service (iCaSH) is your first stop for confidential advice on contraception and sexual health. This was formerly known as Clinic 1A and The Laurels.

Emergency Contraception

EC is available from your GP Surgery free of charge or some Pharmacies will dispense it over the counter but there will be a cost of around £25 and is also available from iCaSH.

Pregnancy Test

Should you require a pregnancy test the College Nurse can perform this and offer any support needed. The Student Welfare Officer also has a supply of pregnancy test kits. Be assured that all consultations are treated in strictest confidence.

Disposal of Needles and Sharps

We understand that some College Members may need to use Sharps from time to time, e.g. Insulin Pen Needles.  We ask that you ensure that you dispose of these in such a way that our staff or other college users are not put at any risk.  Your Doctor should have provided you with your own Sharps bin and given you advice on safe disposal of needles and sharps which you should follow.

In the unlikely event that you do not yet have a Sharps disposal bin, please contact the Housekeeping Department or Porters Lodge.  There is a purpose intended sharps disposal bin in both locations that is available for you to use.

Please DO NOT dispose of sharps in bedroom bins or in any other bins around the College.

Rape / Sexual Assault

Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre offers support to women and girls who have experienced or are experiencing rape, childhood sexual abuse or any form of sexual violence. All our services are confidential and run by women, for women and girls. We can also support family, friends and professionals who are supporting a survivor. The Suzy Lamplugh Foundation has some safety advice.

Personal Safety

Personal Safety is of paramount importance during your stay in College. CUSC Womens Campaign carried out a recent survey to find the extent of uninvited sexual encounters at Cambridge University for both male and female students.


Physio Direct is a self-referral scheme. A telephone based assessment and advice service providing early access to a physiotherapist for self-management. Forms are available from the College Nurse or at your local GP. For assessment over the telephone - Call Monday-Friday Tel: 01223 446999 1pm-5pm

Sports Injury

Brief advice for first aid for an acute sports injury (within 48 hours after the injury)

  • Protect the injured area from further injury
  • REST the injured area
  • Apply ICE to the injured area for 10 minutes every one to two hours (wrap the ice in a moist cloth). Frozen peas work well. Rub a small amount of oil (e.g. baby oil) on the injured area to prevent a burn.
  • Apply mild COMPRESSION to the area to prevent excessive swelling
  • ELEVATE the injured area
  • Supporting the injured limb can be helpful in the initial stages
  • Take a normal dose of your usual pain-relieving medication. An anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen can help relieve both pain and swelling, however, be careful if you have a history of asthma or indigestion.
  • If you are concerned about any injury please contact your GP in the first instance.

Student health

Welcome to the Cambridge Student Health website. This website provides comprehensive advice on health and local services in Cambridge, for all students both at University and Sixth Form College. It has been developed by a consortium of eight General Practices, known as the Association of Student Practices in Cambridge.

Travel Health and immunisations

If you are planning a vacation or trip during the holidays it is advisable to visit your local Practice Nurse 6 weeks before you travel, for advice on the vaccinations required by each country together with up to date information on any out breaks eg Dengue Fever, Avian Flu. You can do some preparation in advance by visiting these websites.

Fit for Travel
The Cambridge Travel Clinic


Page updated 17th January 2019