Applications for the Robinson Access Programme have now closed. If you meet any of the priority critera listed below in the 'Who is it for?' section, please email
to see if there is space for you to join. Due to staffing issues, the confirmation of places on the RAP has been postponed; we aim to let you know by mid-May.
What is the Robinson Access Programme?
The Robinson Access Programme (RAP) is an online scheme for Year 11 students, designed to help you think about university as an option for your future. The programme will consist of monthly online sessions held across the rest of the school year and across Year 12. These will introduce you to what university is, how it works, and what it's like to be a student, alongside content that will help you develop your study skills. Should you wish, you will also have the option to continue with the programme into Year 12, which will focus in on preparing to apply to university.
Taking part in the scheme will give you access to Zoom webinars and workshops; email newsletters with pre-recorded video content; a Moodle forum to share your ideas with other RAP participants; and opportunities to further your knowledge and skills through independent research or self-reflection challenges.
Who is it for?
RAP is open to current Year 11 students studying at state schools in the UK. It is intended to encourage and support you in thinking about applying to selective universities in the UK, so we would particularly like to hear from you if you are part of the top-performing cohort in your school.
However, the programme is open to anyone who is interested in learning more about university. You don't need to be sure that you'll go, or know which universities you want to go to: the information and skills that you develop as part of RAP will help you wherever you decide to go after you leave school.
If the programme is oversubscribed, we will prioritise applicants who:
- Have at any time been under the care of a Local Authority.
- Are currently eligible for Free School Meals, or who have been eligible for Free School Meals in the last 6 years.
- Are currently attending a school with low progression rates to higher-tariff universities.
- Are the first in their immediate family to attend university.
- Have home postcodes in areas with low local participation in Higher Education (POLAR4 quintiles 1 and 2).
- Have home postcodes in areas of high socio-economic deprivation (IMD quintiles 1 and 2).
- Are from an ethnic background currently under-represented at the University of Cambridge (Black African, Black Caribbean, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Arab, Roma, or Traveller).
- Live or attend a school in our link areas of Swindon, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire or the London Borough of Wandsworth.
What are the key dates?
Applications for RAP are currently open and will close at 23.59pm on Monday April 12. We aim to confirm places by the end of April. They will be sent a form asking for this permission; if they have not received this, please email .
The scheme will begin in late April, with monthly sessions until the end of the current school year. You will then have the option to continue with the programme into Year 12, where sessions will focus on preparing to apply to university.
How do I apply?