Welcome to Robinson College!

This page provides useful information for new postgraduate students.

'Welcome to Cambridge' events

If you are a new student coming to the University of Cambridge this autumn you’re probably feeling excited, nervous and have lots of questions.  Get tips and advice by speaking to current students and alumni at one of the pre-arrival ‘Welcome to Cambridge’ events taking place around the world in August and September.  Hosted by Cambridge alumni groups, these events are a great opportunity to prepare yourself for university and make some friends before you arrive.  See the University of Cambridge Development and Alumni Relations website for further information. 

On Arrival in Cambridge

If the Senior Tutor's Assistant has allocated you a room you can collect your room key and sign in at the Porters' Lodge.  You will be asked to visit the Tutorial Office to sign your Occupancy Agreement during the week following.  The Tutorial Office is staffed Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.  Please check your confirmation letter to ensure you arrive on the right day.

International Students Information

The International Student Office (ISO) provides specialist support to students who come to study at Cambridge from outside the UK.  They also help to promote and support student opportunities, and administer some specific international funding awards. Prospective and current students from outside the UK should visit International Students for guidance on admission, immigration, orientation and studying at Cambridge. 

Finance Information

All finance matters, including arrangements for and payment of invoices, are handled by the College Office, which is staffed Monday to Thursday, 9 am to 5 pm, and Friday, 9 am to 4.30 pm (closed between 12.30 - 1.30 for lunch).

Robinson College Membership Deposit

All students are required to pay a £250 College membership deposit before the start of their course, regardless of whether they are staying in College accommodation or living out.  This deposit will be held on your account for the full duration of your time with the college and will only be refunded once you have completed your course and graduated.  The deposit invoice will be sent to your @cam.ac.uk email address by the College Office at the beginning of September and you are expected to pay within 7 days of receiving.

College Bills for Tuition Fees and Residency

These are sent to your @cam.ac.uk email address either prior to arrival, or on arrival. Full payment for both is expected within 7 days of receipt. 

All postgraduate students are required to pay the full year's University tuition fees, and residence charge, if applicable.  If you have arranged to take up room occupancy before Saturday 21 September you will be charged for each extra night in addition to your agreed residency charge. 

How to pay your College bill:

  • Debit card via the College Office (open Monday to Thursday, 9 am to 5 pm, and Friday, 9 am to 4.30 pm, closed between 12.30 - 1.30 for lunch). 
  • Bank transfer from an overseas bank or a UK account to the College Bank account.  Please quote your unique college account number (which can be found on your invoice) in the payment reference box so that the funds are credited to the correct account.
  • Ways to pay and full bank details can be found on the bottom of all invoices.
  • Pingit - mobile payment service.
  • Please note: there may be a bank charge for the transfer of funds from an international account so please enquire with your bank as to any additional charges you may incur.

We strongly recommend that funds are transferred in sterling rather than in your local currency, in order to avoid currency fluctuations.

Robinson College does not accept cheque or cash payment.  We strongly discourage you from bringing large amounts of cash with you.  This is highly risky, and cash will not be accepted by the College Office.

Please note that non-payment of fees to your college constitutes grounds for removal from the student register. 

Postgraduate Tutors

Postgraduate Tutors at Robinson College give advice and support on a wide range of pastoral issues.  Postgraduate students are formally assigned to one of them (and you will be informed in due course the name of your particular tutor).  However, you are welcome to contact any of them. 

Tutors are available to give general advice on life as a postgraduate student and issues associated with your time here, whether in College or your Faculty.  They may not be in your subject, however.  For more subject-specific advice, you also have a Supervisor in your Faculty or Department. 


All new postgraduates are expected to attend a Matriculation event in College on Monday 7 October from 5.30 pm.  You will be asked to sign the Matriculation Lists for the University and collect you University ID card if you have not done so already from the Tutorial Office, before lining up for a Matriculation photograph.  From 6.45 pm the MCR will provide pre-dinner drinks on the balcony for new and continuing postgraduate students. The Matriculation Dinner, to which only new postgraduates are invited, will follow in the evening.  Attendance is by invitation only and dress code is lounge suits and gowns.

Robinson College MCR

All postgraduate students at Robinson are automatically members of the MCR (Middle Combination Room).  The day-to-day affairs of the MCR are run by the MCR Committee, who provide representation, entertainment and support to postgraduate members of the college.

Formal Hall

Formal Halls are one of the ways in which the College community celebrates its collective life.  Formal Hall takes place twice a week, on Tuesday and Friday evenings, during full term in the College Dining Hall and places must be booked in advance. They are three course waitress-served meals where diners are seated throughout the meal.  Junior and Senior members are allowed to bring guests, and members and their guests are expected to treat the occasions with respect.

The dress code for Formal Hall is smart casual and members of the college must wear their gowns.


Gowns are required for the Matriculation Dinner and Formal Hall.  Clothier shops in Cambridge, where you can get advice and buy gowns (both used and new), are Ryder and Amies (on King's Parade), A.E. Clothier (on Pembroke Street), and Ede and Ravenscroft (on Trumpington Street). However, a better option may be to buy it through the Postgraduate Union.

Registering with a GP (doctor)

Please note that you must register with a Cambridge GP.  The practices listed below are those most frequently used by the College.  You are, of course, entitled to register with any GP of your choice:

Newnham Walk Surgery, Wordsworth Grove, Cambridge, CB3 9HS
Telephone: 01223 366811

Bridge Street Medical Centre, 2 All Saints Passage, Cambridge, CB2 3LS 
Telephone:  01223 652671

Lensfield Medical Practice, 48 Lensfield Road, Cambridge, CB2 1EG   
Telephone: 01223 561020

Trumpington Street Medical Practice, 56 Trumpington Street, Cambridge, CB2 1RG 
Telephone:  01223 361611  

Please inform the College Nurse, Health Centre, Set 19, W Staircase, as soon as you have registered with a GP and in any event by Monday 21 October at the very latest.

Opening a UK bank account

If you are  going to be studying in Cambridge for six months or more, we advise you to open a UK bank account in order to make it easier for you to manage your money. The banks are very busy with student accounts in September and October so you may be asked to make an appointment. The main banks with branches in the town centre are HSBC, Barclays, NatWest, Lloyds Bank, TSB, RBS, Santander, and Halifax. In order to open a bank account you will require a Student Status Letter issued by the college, stating that you are a student here, your course length etc, and confirming your home address, UK address and full name. This letter can be obtained from the Postgraduate Administrator in the Tutorial Office by emailing postgraduate-admissions@robinson.cam.ac.uk .  Please include the name and address of the bank at which you would like to open an account and allow 3 days for the letter to be issued.

General Information

There are many other university organisations which provide welcome activities and/or useful services. These include:


Page updated 25th June 2020