Event postponed until further notice.
Sunday 22 March 2020 (5pm approx) - Monday 23 March 2020 (4pm approx)
Please note that this event is entirely free of charge to participants, including all activities, accommodation and meals
Robinson College is delighted to once again host our Women in Science Festival in March 2020. Students will have the opportunity to stay in College accommodation, meet current students and leading female academics at the University of Cambridge, be challenged in academic sessions, and take part in our Science Fair. We hope that students who participate will get a real taste of university life and explore the broad spectrum of STEM subjects that the University offers.
The event comprises of:
- Talks from several leading female scientists, mathematicians, and engineers at a range of career stages.
- A science fair with interactive sessions and exhibits from Directors of Studies and PHD students in various scientific disciplines at Robinson College. There will also be the opportunity for visiting students to exhibit at the Science Fair and showcase their specific interests in front of other attendees and a panel of judges.
- Practical sessions in a variety of Cambridge's academic departments.
- On the day of arrival there will be tours of the college, an evening meal in the College's Garden Restaurant and evening activities.
Throughout the day you will have the opportunity to chat informally with College teaching staff and current students about life as a science student in Cambridge and the admissions process.
We also would like to invite students to present their work at our science fair if they wish. This will be held on the Monday morning of the festival and we would love you to present about anything that has sparked your interest in pursuing an aspect of science at a higher level. Individuals or groups of up to 4 students may request to have stall, and you may present your interest in any form you like (demonstration, poster, powerpoint presentation etc.) Judges will circulate around the fair to discuss the exhibits, and prizes will be awarded to highly commended presentations.
There are 120 places for students in Years 12, with 64 overnight places available for those who wish to arrive on the Sunday. If the event is oversubscribed, priority will be given to students who meet one or more of the criteria below. However, anyone from any background may apply to attend and anyone identifying as female or non-binary may attend.
- Have no parental history of higher education
- Live in neighborhoods with low overall progression to higher education
- Have lived, or are currently living, in local authority care
- Have been eligible for free school meals within the past five years
- Are from an ethnic group currently underrepresented at Cambridge
- Have a disability
- Attend a school in one of Robinson College's Link Areas (Gloucestershire, Swindon, Wiltshire, London Borough of Wandsworth)
The Women in STEM Festival is entirely free of charge. Accommodation, all meals, activities throughout the day and the evening are included. Students are expected to arrange their own travel to and from Robinson College (unless attending as part of a school group), however students who are eligible for Free School Meals, in the care of the local authority or live in areas with historically low progression rates to Higher Education may apply for travel reimbursement. If this applies to you or if you have any other extenuating circumstances, please contact the Schools' Liaison Officer.
Groups bookings may be made by teachers on behalf of their students. In these cases we would prefer if a teacher could accompany their group to the event.
Whilst we are able to offer all students the opportunity to stay in College on the Sunday night, we appreciate those with short distances to travel may prefer to attend for the day on Monday. Day attendees are welcome and please indicate this on your booking form.
School group bookings: https://cambridge.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3l5O2lvsTxMOT7T
Individual students: https://cambridge.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1FgT83qgmJMWMsZ
Please note: For individual student bookings, we are able to allocate six places per school. Should you wish for more of your students to request, we would ask that you make a school group booking. Bookings will close on Friday 7 February.
If you require more information or have any specific requests, please do no hesitate to contact the Schools Liaison and Outreach Officer.