Robinson Library Opening Times
The library is open 24/7 throughout the year.
Library Office hours are 9:00 – 12:30 13:30 – 17:00 There may be occasions when these times will vary.
Information for freshers
An introduction to Robinson library for new users can be found here.
A directory of all the libraries at Cambridge can be found here https://www.libraries.cam.ac.uk/libraries-directory/libraries-a-z
Layout and Classification
The library is organized over three floors:
- top floor – science, technology, medicine, the arts excluding music, Dvd’s
- entrance floor – languages and literature including Anglo-saxon, Bowles Collection, Study Well and Be Well Collections, past exam papers 2012-2017
- lower floor- Greek, Latin, philosophy, theology, social and political science, economics, music, psychology, geography, history
The classification system we use is a modified version of the Dewey Decimal system.
The library operates a self-issue system for borrowing books.
There are simple instructions on how to do this next to the two self-issue machines. You will need your University card to borrow books. Undergraduate loans are for 7 days with no limit on renewals, graduate and staff loans are for 28 days and can also be renewed. The loan limit is 10 items from Robinson Library.
To log in to your library account go to https://idiscover.lib.cam.ac.uk and click Login to iDiscover at the top right of the page. Select Current Staff and Students of University of Cambridge and use your CRSid and Raven password. Then click on your name and select My Loans to see loans from all libraries.
Further guidance about borrowing from Cambridge Libraries is available here https://libguides.cam.ac.uk/borrowing
The only fines are for late return of requested books. When a user requests a book that is on loan to you please return this book to the library within 3 days otherwise a fine of £1 per book per day is charged. You pay fines through the online fines payment system accessed from your library account.
We have table lamps and book rests, a standing desk, guillotine, binding machine, stapler, hole-punch, scissors and a skeleton for use in the library.
Library Regulations – Please read
- Smoking is not permitted and we ask that you consume food outside the Library. Hot and cold drinks are allowed as long as they are in covered containers. Any user found in the Library with food or uncovered drinks will be reported to the relevant Tutor and be required to do a period of community service within the Library.
- There is no rule of silence but readers are asked to avoid any activity likely to disturb others.
- Readers must show their University Card if requested to do so.
- Readers must leave bags and other containers in a designated area if requested to do so.
- On leaving the Library, readers may be required to show all their books, personal or otherwise, at the issue desk.
- Personal property must be cleared from the library tables before you leave the Library, unless you are only taking a short break. Any property left overnight will be moved from tables. Readers are asked to return dictionaries, reference books and any books which are not being borrowed and are not required for further study, to the Library shelves.
- Please treat all equipment and resources with care. In the case of loss or damage, books are the responsibility of the person who has signed for them. Any person known to have marked a book, even in pencil, will be subject to a fine. Missing books should be reported immediately to library staff, who will help to locate them, but if not found, the cost of replacing lost books will be charged to the borrower.
- Readers are requested to switch their phones to silent.