If you use the Internet from a computer within Robinson College, you are using the following networks:
- Robinson College Data Network
- CUDN (Cambridge University Data Network)
- JANET (the UK joint academic network)
These are academic networks. They are designed to facilitate study, research and academic communications. Both CUDN and JANET have published rules and guidelines for acceptable use. As a student at Robinson, you will have agreed to abide by these rules by signing the forms granting you an email ID.
Rules In A Nutshell
- You may use the network for academic purposes
- You may not use the network for financial gain
- You may not use the network for any illegal purpose
- You may not use the network to transmit any material that infringes another person's copyright (this applies to the vast majority of digital music and video files).
- You may not operate a peer-to-peer (P2P) filesharing protocol on your computer. This includes (among others): Kazaa, Morpheus, Direct Connect, LimeWire, Gnutella, eDonkey, BitTorrent, etc.
- You must be aware that you are responsible for traffic generated by your computer. The College uses a bandwidth management policy which will effectively slow down your connection if you use more than your allocated quota. There are three network services on offer: the Basic service which is free, the Gold service, which costs £25 per term, and the Platinum service, which costs £50 per term.
- You may not create, download, store, transmit or display material that promotes or incites hatred, terrorism or hate crimes.
Prevent Duty Guidance
Under the Prevent Duty, encouragement of terrorism and inviting support for proscribed terrorist organisations are both criminal offences.You may not create, download, store, transmit or display material that promotes or incites hatred, terrorism or hate crimes. Researchers in this field should take advice from the University in the first instance.
Bandwidth, Network Restrictions and P2P Policy
There are official College Bandwidth Policy (traffic use), Network Restrictions Policy and P2P Policy documents. Please study them carefully. Refer to the FAQ for information on how to ensure you meet the guidelines.
The internet usage limits are:
Gold service: 20GB per 24 hour rolling period.
Using the MCS computers in the Student Computer Room, Library or MCR do not count towards your Robinson College data usage quota. Using the wifi (RC-wifi / eduroam) or wired Ethernet in Robinson College will count towards your Robinson College data usage quota. Using the wifi (eduroam / uni of cam) in other Colleges, Faculties or Departments will not count towards your Robinson College data usage quota but they may have their own Fair Use Policies in place. If you go over quota, your internet connection will operate at a reduced speed until your usage returns to below 90% of the quota.
Rules & Conditions In Detail
Penalties For Misuse
Misuse will in most cases be penalised by the withdrawal of all network usage privileges. At the College's option, there may in addition, depending on the severity of the offence, be imposed a fine, suspension, or sending-down.
Page updated 11th October 2019